New year, better you. Make this new year an opportunity for fresh new start, the perfect time to break a habit, make a change or learn something new. This 2019, push yourself further and reach greater heights than ever before these suggestions. We have compiled these activities that you can do for an entire year – one activity per month.
1. CONQUER YOUR WATER FEAR WITH FREEDIVING
Freediving is an awesome way to conquer the fear of the unknown underwater. Imagine yourself gliding through shipwrecks and reefs in Coron, Palawan with just relying on your ability to hold breath. Give yourself a freedom to explore underwater by enrolling to Freedive PH diving classes.
[CLOSED] Join our ongoing giveaway and you might just win a FREE beginner class for freediving! For more details, you may read our full review for Freedive PH
2. CLIMB YOUR FIRST SUMMIT
Reconnect with nature this 2019 through hiking your first summit. Mountain hiking might be your thing, you just need to give it a try. Here are 5 best minor climbs perfect for beginners:
- Mt. Batulao (Nasugbu, Batangas)
- Trail difficulty: 3/10
- Mt. Binacayan (Rodriguez, Rizal)
- Trail difficulty: 3/10
- Mt. Talamitam (Nasugbu, Batangas)
- Trail difficulty: 2/10
- Mt. Gulugod Baboy (Anilao, Batangas)
- Trail difficulty: 2/10
- Mt. Daraitan (Tanay, Rizal)
- Trail difficulty: 4/10
Journey Freaks’ tip: You can join group tours for a safer and stress-free hikes. Always remember that it is best to be safe than sorry.
3. GROW YOUR OWN PLANTS
This year you can grow your own sunflower! Growing your own plants from seed can teach you a lot of things and one of them is the importance of patience. Kickstart your new year by doing a new hobby like gardening!
You may check out MNLGrowkits for affordable “grow kits” that fits anyone – whether you’re new into planting or not.
Journey Freaks’ tip: By planting your own plants (ornamental/herbs), we can make our surroundings healthier and greener.
4. PRACTICE LESS-WASTE LIFESTYLE
This 2019 learn to care more for our environment and our future children’s environment. Start by practicing less-waste lifestyle by minimizing plastic usage through using reusable food and drink containers, cutlery and even shopping bags.
5. TRY SKYDIVING
There’s a possibility that you might be an adrenaline-junkie… but you’ll never know unless you give it a try! Try skydiving level up your adventure onto the next level! We may agree that it’s scary but we believe that it going to be worth it. Minimum budget per dive starts at P15,000 and above. Here are 5 skydiving spots around the Philippines:
- Skydive in Cebu
- Location: Santa Fe, Bantayan Island, Cebu
- Skydive in Pangasinan
- Location: Binalonan, Pangasinan
- Skydive in Vigan
- Location: Vigan, Ilocos Sur
- Skydive in Zambales
- Location: Iba, Zambales
- Skydive in Davao Oriental
- Location: Mati, Davao Oriental
6. CATCH AND RIDE THE WAVES
There’s an old saying that goes “Life is a wave, catch it.” Whether you are a novice or an expert at surfing, there is always a surfing spot around the Philippines. We have listed down best of the best spots to learn and practice surfing around the country:
- Learn to surf in Siargao
Turtle Surf Camp (General Luna, Siargao)
- Best time to go: Between September and May
- Learn to surf in Baler
Nalu Surf Camp (Baler Aurora)
- Best time to go: Between October and April
- Learn to surf in La Union
The Circle Hostel (San Juan, La Union)
- Best time to go: Between October and March
- Learn to surf in Zambales
Crystal Beach Resort, Zambales (San Narciso, Zambales)
- Best time to go: April and September
- Learn to surf in Quezon
Real Coast & Surf (Real, Quezon)
- Best time to go: August and March
7. RELIVE THE PAST BY VISITING MUSEUMS
Visiting museums is an effective way to de-stress and at the same time gather knowledge. Feast your eyes with amazing artworks of well-respected artists and discover the history behind each piece of art. Here are 5 best museums you can visit around the metro:
- National Museum of Natural History
- Location: T.M. Kalaw corner General Luna Streets, Rizal Park, Manila
- National Museum of Fine Arts
- Padre Burgos Drive, Rizal Park, Manila
- Metropolitan Museum of Manila
- Location: BSP Complex, Roxas Boulevard, Malate, Manila
- Bahay Tsinoy
- Location: 32 Anda corner Cabildo Streets, Intramuros, Manila
- Yuchengo Museum
- Location: RCBC Plaza, Ayala corner Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenues, Makati City
8. GET CREATIVE AND START MAKING ART
Earth without art is just “eh”. Visit a Sip & Gogh studio near you to unleash your artsy side! Sip & Gogh has different painting session every day. Re-create Van Gogh’s The Starry Night? No pressure. You may also opt to join their Open Sessions where you can explore your creative side on your own.
9. PARTICIPATE AND BE A VOLUNTEER THAT INTERESTS YOU
Let’s face it; volunteering isn’t exactly at the top of anyone’s priority list, so finding a non-profit organization that clicks with you is the first step to enjoying it.
- Want to protect ocean and marine resources? Volunteer to these groups: Save Philippine Seas, Marine Conservation Philippines , and NymPh.
- Want to conserve and protect the environment and its resources? Volunteer to these groups: Greenpeace Philippines and Haribon Foundation
- Want to do community-based projects? Volunteer to these groups: Rise Against Hunger Philippines and Gawad Kalinga
10. SAVE AND INVEST IN THE STOCK MARKET
Kickstart your journey to financial freedom while you are young and able. Investing now is better than investing later. First step is to learn on how to save your money and put it into a place where it will grow as time goes by (bank isn’t the best institution for this!)
Time is one of the biggest factors in investing. The earlier you start, the better and the more time your money has for it to grow exponentially. And even just a year delay could mean hundreds of thousands worth of opportunity lost.
11. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE
We all know that language is a powerful bridge that connects people.
Knowing a language other than your own and English is a handy skill that will save you from a lot of trouble—especially when you’re traveling abroad. So for this new year, try to challenge yourself to learn a new language.
- Learn French at Alliance Française de Manille
- Location: 209 Nicanor Garcia Street, Bel-Air II, Makati City
- Learn German at Goethe-Institut Philippinen
- Location: G/4-5/F Adamson Centre, 121 Leviste Street, Salcedo Village, Makati
- Learn Spanish at Instituto Cervantes
- Location: Ayala Tower I, Ayala Triangle, Ayala Avenue, Makati City
- Learn Italian at Societa Dante Alighieri Manila
- Location: Unit 45 4/F, Zeta Building, Salcedo Street, Makati City
- Learn Chinese at Chiang Kai Shek College Language Center
- Location: Room 202, 1477 Narra Street, Tondo, Manila
12. TREAT YOURSELF TO SOMETHING NICE
For once in a year, try to accomplish one thing you’ve wanted to do for a long time! Tick off one from your bucketlist! It may be anything like buying a flight ticket to Japan, indulging yourself with a very good steak, or getting your first tattoo! Go on and treat yourself because you deserve it! Live your life to the fullest!